Cansford’s founders have strong academic credentials and regularly conduct original research and publish scientific papers.
Relevant peer-reviewed published papers by Cansford scientists
- Ethyl glucuronide as a long-term alcohol biomarker in fingernail and hair. Matrix comparison and evaluation of gender bias, Alcohol and Alcoholism, (2019): 1-6
- Data on ethyl glucuronide and cocaethylene concentrations in the hair of cocaine users. Data in brief, 20, pp.2036-2039, (2018).
- Hair analysis when external contamination is in question: A review of practical approach for the interpretation of results. Forensic science international 285 (2018): 105-110.
- Recent Advances in Hair Testing, Edited by Lolita Tsanaclis, Markus Baumgartner, Forensic science international, 30 June 2017
- Commentary on Current Changes of the SoHT 2016 Consensus on Alcohol Markers in Hair and Further Background Information. Forensic Science International (2017).
- European guidelines for workplace drug and alcohol testing in hair. Drug Testing and Analysis July 2016.
- Workplace Drug Testing in “Hair Analysis in Clinical and Forensic Toxicology” eds Pascal Kintz, Alberto Salomone, Marco Vincenti, Academic Press; Edition: 1 (25 de June de 2015)
- Differentiation between consumption and external contamination when testing for cocaine and cannabis in hair samples. Drug testing and analysis, 6(S1), 37-4, 2014
- Workplace drug testing, different matrices different objectives. Drug Testing and Analysis 4 (2), 2012, 83–88, 2012
- Análises de drogas em cabelos ou pêlos. RevInter Revista de Toxicologia, Risco Ambiental e Sociedade, 4(1), 2011
- Simultaneous determination of GHB and EtG in hair using GCMS/MS. Drug testing and analysis 3,201–205, 2010
- Testing for alcohol use in hair: is ethyl glucuronide (EtG) stable in hair? Ann. Toxicol. Anal, 21(2), 67-71, 2009
- Differentiation between drug use and environmental contamination when testing for drugs in hair. Forensic Sci Int. 176 (1): 19-22, 2008
- Do drug users use less alcohol than non-drug users? A comparison of ethyl glucuronide concentrations in hair between the two groups in medico-legal cases. Forensic Sci Int. 176: 82-6, 2008
- Patterns in drug use in the United Kingdom as revealed through analysis of hair in a large population sample. Forensic Sci. Int. 170 (2-3):121-128, 2007
- Prevalence and disposition of drugs of abuse and opioid treatment drugs in oral fluid. J Anal Toxicol. 31 (8):424-433, 2007GC-MS-MS Determination of Gamma-Hydroxybutyrate in Blood and Urine. J Anal Toxicol. 30 (6):375-379, 2006
- Comparison by External Quality Assessment of Performance of Analytical Systems for Measurement of Therapeutic Drugs in Serum. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, 19: 420-426, 1997
- Time course of appearance of cotinine in human beard hair after a single dose of nicotine. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, 17:195-198, 1995
- Intra- and interlaboratory sources of imprecision in drug measurements by different techniques. Clinical Chemistry 39: 851-855, 1993
Relevant scientific presentations by Cansford scientists
- I never touched it, I just went to a party! The impact of external contamination on interpretation of hair testing results, (SoHT), Cardiff, UK, 2017
- What do hair drug levels mean?, (SoHT), Cardiff, UK, 2017
- The Diagnostic Value of Sectioning Hair Samples for EtG Analysis, (SoHT), Cardiff, UK, 2017
- Retrospective Hair Drug Testing: an assessment of current drug use patterns in samples from Australia, (TIAFT/SoHT), Brisbane, Australia, 2016.
- Hair analysis in the identification of adulterants used in cocaine formulations as an aid to diagnosis and treatment of associated toxicity, (TIAFT/SoHT), Brisbane, Australia, 2016.
- Brazilian guidelines for drug and alcohol testing in hair collection and analysis, (SoHT), Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2015
- Providing Appropriate and Meaningful Workplace Hair Drug Testing, (SoHT), Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2015
- Detection of adulterants in hair samples as a diagnostic aid in clinical practice, (SoHT), Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2015
- Dealing with external contamination on hair samples, when in doubt, (SoHT), Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2015.
- Implication of non-attendance for hair collection for drug and alcohol testing in child care cases, (SoHT), Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2015
- Extent of external contamination of hair samples from crack cocaine users, (TIAFT), Buenos Aires, 2014
- Evaluation of hair analysis with socio-demographic profile of crack users in Brazil, (SoHT), Bordeaux, France, 2014
- Hair analysis in the workplace: global harmonisation required, (SoHT), Bordeaux, France, 2014
- Hair analysis in pre-employment of high-risk activities in Brazil, (SoHT), Geneva, Switzerland, 2013
- Differentiating between consumption and external contamination when testing for cocaine and cannabis in hair samples, (SoHT), Geneva, Switzerland, 2013
- Análise de Cabelo em Exames Pré-Admissionais em Atividades de alto Risco no Brasil, (CBTOX), Brazil, 2013
- Hair Analysis for the emerging new drugs: Tramadol and Mephedrone, (SoHT), Toronto, Canada, 2012
- Workplace Drug Testing, Different Matrices Different Objectives, (EWDTS), Edinbourgh, UK, 2011
- Testing for alcohol use in hair: is ethyl glucuronide (EtG) stable in hair?’ Société Française de Toxicologie Analytique, (SFTA) 16th annual meeting, The International Association of Forensic Scientists (TIAFT) 46th international meeting, & Society of Hair Testing, (SoHT), Martinique, French West Indies, 2008
- Differentiation between drug use and environmental contamination when testing for drugs in hair. (SoHT), Cardiff, UK, 2007.
- Challenge to an Initial Hair Analysis Result – A Case Study, (SoHT), Cardiff, 2007
- Comparative Confirmation Rates and Drug Level Patterns in Hair and Oral Fluid in Clinical Monitoring and Workplace Sectors, London Toxicology Group (LTG), London, UK 2007.
- The Determination of Ketamine Concentrations in Hair Samples, (TIAFT), Seattle – USA, 2007
- The Evaluation of Amphetamine Isomer Ratios in Hair Samples from Amphetamine Users, (TIAFT), Seattle – USA, 2007
- Patterns in drug use in the United Kingdom as revealed through analysis of hair in a large population sample, (TIAFT) Ljubjana, Slovenia, 2006
- Hair Analysis for Assessing Cannabis Use: Are the cut-offs working?, SoHT Strasbourg, France, 2005
- Hair Analysis of Naltrexone: a Complementary and Useful Technique in Monitoring Compliance, (TIAFT) Seoul, 2005
- Hair Analysis for Assessing Cannabis Use by GC-MS/MS (Ion trap): Limitations and Advances on the Differentiation between Systemic Exposure and External Contamination, BMSS Derby, UK, 2004
- Drug Detection in Hair: Assessment of Levels from Large Volume Screening and Confirmation Testing, (TIAFT) Washington, USA, 2004
- Drug Detection in Oral Fluid: Identification of Poly Drug Use by EIA and GC-MS, (TIAFT) Washington, USA, 2004
- Hair analysis for detection of drugs: the use of multiple and single sections on the interpretation of drug use for medical-legal purposes, (TIAFT) France, 2002
- Hair Analysis for Detection of Drugs: A Retrospective Review of Data Obtained in the Routine Practice of a Specialist Laboratory, (TIAFT) Prague, Czeck Republic 2001
- Kinetics of drug transport from gut lumen into blood in the firs-pass perfused gut preparation. PKUK Group, Newcastle, UK, 1997
- Method for the determination of buprenorphine in serum by gas-chromatography-mass-spectrometry using single ion monitoring, 4th International Congress of Therapeutic Drug Monitoring and Clinical Toxicology, Vienna, Austria, 1995.
SoHT: Society of Hair testing
TIAFT: The International Association of Forensic Toxicologists
CBTOX: Congresso Brasileiro de Toxicologia
Who do we work with?
Organisations with thousands of employees
Family solicitors in the UK
Individuals UK wide
About Cansford Laboratories
Meet the team
Work with Cansford Laboratories
Questions about our services?
Complete the form below and our laboratory team will be in touch shortly.